Friday, February 6, 2015

Emptying the "Giant" House



Welcome and thanks for visiting. 

Here you'll find some info on my latest project, building my own tiny house. 


Model Today

"Giant" 950 Sq Ft House

To start out, here are some pics of the house I just sold and moved out of. I lived there for 5 years, and poured tons of money, time, and energy into it. A good learning experience I suppose. Now it is empty. I spent months downsizing and getting rid of "stuff." That actually was happening before I even knew that tiny houses existed.

I found myself going through everything I owned and thinking, "do I really need this anymore?" "When is the last time I used this?" "wow I really spent money on all this stuff that I never use?"...  Reducing the stuff in my home felt great! Soon my house really looked empty. I was only using about a third of the space.
Empty Living Room
Empty Kitchen
Empty Bedroom
My first reaction to Tiny Houses: "wow those people are crazy!" 

Empty (Remodeled) Bathroom
But... I've already been getting rid of "stuff." How far could I take that? Would the feeling of freedom keep flowing in if I continued to minimize to that extreme? No mortgage payment, extremely small utility bills, not continuing to buy stuff to fill the space that I wasn't even using, living in a structure that was completely built by my own hands... What an interesting experiment! Why not try?

So that was it. I started planning. I reduced so much that everything I own fits in half of a 10'x10' storage unit. 80% of that can go also, after I have the time to sort through it again.

Now I've sold my house, quit my job, and bought some of the materials. Next week I'm moving to Colorado to build full time for a few months.

I have no idea what this blog might turn into, but I'll do my best to keep everyone posted on the planning, progress, and stumbling blocks that are bound to happen along the way. 



1 comment:

  1. How to Bet on The SuperLotto Plus - Dr.MCD
    Winning the SuperLotto Plus in California is 충청남도 출장마사지 an 남양주 출장안마 important step in winning real money. 사천 출장마사지 You must check in before you can place a bet. Here 태백 출장샵 is what you need to 세종특별자치 출장샵 do:

    ReplyDelete